Tuesday, September 30, 2014

little and friday: no longer little and now everyday

The chain of cute pastry shops called little and friday has a humble beginning.  It was in a small place that only opened on Fridays - hence the name.

Nowadays, the shop has two main branches and the Good One coffee shop in Ponsonby also stocks and sells their products.  little and friday has become a local institution and the lines of people are often long; both for dine-in and take-away.

(For my blogpost about Good One cafe, please click here.)



My impression of the Belmont branch of little and friday is so:


Overall grade:  4.0/5.0

Unique charms:

  • Quick and friendly service
  • There is a warm-up option available when you order sandwiches and pastries.
  • Other places give you a small sign with a number on it so that the service staff knows to which customer they should bring an order.  At little and friday, they have small animal statuettes that are spray-painted yellow.  So instead of "Chocolate croissant for #43," it becomes "Chocolate croissant for the customer with the giraffe."
I had a small lemon meringue pie from here.  The meringue was fluffy and the crust had a bit of crunch to it.  However, I find most Kiwi pastries too mellow.  Normally, I prefer the flavours to be quite distinct.  Even though the New Zealanders don't make it the way I'm used to (as a Thai who studied in USA and France, I prefer bombastic flavours), I must say that overall, I can appreciate the style and flavour profile of a Kiwi baked product.  In that regard, little and friday nailed it.  A local would find the lemon meringue pie very tasty.  Perhaps the same could also be said of a visitor who isn't partial to big flavours.


The shop is in a small corner of a home decoration shop where you can buy things like cutlery.  This is the branch in Belmont.

A very packed vitrine


The mini lemon meringue pie I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment